PSR CLASS SCHEDULE for 2020-2021 First Semester
- In order to prepare for Confirmation, 8th grade will meet socially distanced, in person, either Outside or in the Church to accommodate for spacing.
- Grades 1-7 will meet OUTSIDE, weather permitting, for the first two classes (9/14 & 9/21) for one hour (6:30-7:30pm) and then move to “At-Home” learning for the next 4 weeks. Your child will receive their textbooks and any other materials the catechist wants to send home on these nights. Please bring something to sit on and wear a mask when finding your class (once seated and socially distanced the students may take off the mask).
- The six weeks from 9/14-10/26 will take us to the end of October when Webster Groves School District will make a determination regarding the rest of the semester. If they return in person, we will. If they continue virtual learning, we will continue “at-home.”
- For grades 1-7, the “at-home” learning will include instructions from your catechists. Students and families will be asked to fill out a response form so the teacher can know how things are going. This may be filling out a google form or simply responding to emails! Some teachers may do zoom calls at specific times but the main focus will be to give your family information to learn and reflect on for the entire week. Our goal is to have the families grow in learning their faith! We will incorporate Mass into some of our learning as well. Mass is still offered online at 9am and in person at the normally scheduled times.
- I will continue to use Flocknote to communicate with the entire PSR family. This includes texts from Flocknote and emails. The contact info you fill out on the registration form (Primary and Secondary contact info) will be entered into Flocknote to receive these communications.
- Teacher Catechists will communicate via email.
- We will break up the tuition fee by semester. So the first semester fee will now be $100. You will be invoiced by Carol. On the registration form you will be able to indicate if you’d like to pay via check or Stripe (includes an additional fee).
Holy Redeemer Parish School of Religion (grades 1-8) acts as a support for the students and families of the parish as they live out their Baptismal call and give witness to the Good News in word and deed. It is the desire of the program to incorporate the students and their families into the faith life of the parish community.
Grade 1: Sacramental Formation for First Holy Communion and Reconciliation
This is a required PSR year for all of our parish children. They will begin to memorize and comprehend basic Catholic teaching and prayers. These will be the building blocks for the two sacraments they will receive in second grade. Children must attend the 1st grade program to be adequately prepared to understand and receive these Sacraments.
Grade 2: First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion
This year moves quickly as your child prepares to receive the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion. Since birth, you as parents have been and continue to be the primary educators of your children in the ways of faith. Please make every effort to bring your child to Mass each week and work with them at home. Your child will learn much this year. Be sure to ask them to share with you what they’ve learned!
Grades 3-6: Pre-Confirmation Preparation
These are important years in your child’s faith development. Students will continue to be nourished by their faith as they move each year toward a more thoughtful and mature spirituality. They will learn important life lessons in morality & develop a healthy and whole conscious based in virtue as well as Scripture and Catholic tradition. These years are not optional as God is constant and our rewards are eternal!
Grade 7: Sacramental Formation for Confirmation
This is a required PSR year for all of our parish children. Students must attend the 7th grade program to be adequately prepared to understand and receive Confirmation.
Grade 8: Sacrament of Confirmation
This is the year our young men and women will open themselves to the Holy Spirit and commit themselves to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. They will share their time, talent and treasure in service to the community in response to the Gospel call. They will assume a “discipleship” position in our faith community and contemplate God’s plan for their future in our Church. This is not the end of their spiritual journey! It is the final Sacrament in the Sacraments of Initiation. They will be fully initiated in the Church to take their role within it!
Grades 1-7 use RCL Benziger text Blest Are We: Faith and Word Edition. This is a spiral series–each year is a continuum of the previous year– that has been approved by the Archdiocese of St. Louis. In the students’ 8th grade year they walk through the Purpose Confirmation Program by Lifeteen.
The children receive First Reconciliation in the fall of second grade, First Eucharist in the spring of second grade and in eighth grade the students are Confirmed in the faith.
Enrollment & Catechist
If you wish to enroll or re-enroll your child/teen, please contact the Director or use the enrollment form below.
If you feel called to catechize the young people of our parish, please call or email Kathleen Govero today.
Coordinator of Religious Education: Kathleen Govero, 314-962-0038, [email protected]
PSR is intended to be an eight-year process. So attendance is presumed for all eight years. To skip any year is to miss an important segment of the total picture. There are also special sessions for parents along the way. Two years of preparation is required of children before First Confession and First Communion, and preparation for Confirmation requires at least two years of class participation.