Holy Redeemer Catholic School is rich in history and has been a center point for education since 1886.
In 1886 forty-five families in Webster Groves area petitioned Archbishop Kenrick to form a new parish. This was the beginning of Our Holy Redeemer Parish. Land was purchased at the corner of Lockwood and Selma. The first church was a wooden structure. In 1897 a new stone church, located at the corner of Lockwood and Joy Avenues, was completed.
In the fall of 1901 a classroom was erected in the rear of the former church. The sisters of Loretto taught in the new school. By 1907 enrollment had increased to 66 students in eight grades. In 1909 the Sisters of Loretto withdrew from the school. Reverend P.J. Kane, the pastor at this time, asked the Dominican Sisters of Sparkhill, New York to send teachers to the growing school. The request was granted.
In September of 1910 the new school was completed. Only four classrooms were needed at this time. The four sisters used the rest of the building for a convent. By 1916 enrollment rose to 150 students.
The school continued to grow and by 1951 enrollment at Our Holy Redeemer School had reached 641 pupils. Annunciation Parish opened in 1952, which caused enrollment to drop to 446. The staff at this time consisted of eleven Dominican sisters and one lay teacher.
In 1960 an addition to the school consisting of four classrooms and a gymnasium, was completed. Peak enrollment of 964 was reached in 1961. During this time the number of lay teachers was increasing. In light of this growth a larger church was constructed. In the sixties religion classes for public school students were reorganized.
By 1970 there were ten lay teachers and seven sisters on the faculty. During the seventies enrollment dropped. In 1977 there were 280 children in the school. The staff consisted of four sisters and nine lay teachers.
In the eighties, lay involvement in education was greatly increased. Msgr. Robert Kaletta encouraged the implementation of a school board. This was in light of the U.S. Bishop’s pastoral letter, “To Teach As Jesus Did”. During this time the first lay principal was hired and the faculty consisted of all lay teachers.
In the nineties, the lay involvement and school board continued. Fr. Joseph M. Simon became pastor of the parish. School safety was addressed and improved. Computer technology became an integral part of the school. A Macintosh computer lab was set up and a school PC network, with workstations and Internet capabilities in each classroom, was obtained due to the generosity of many donors. During a three year process the faculty wrote a comprehensive curriculum guide for the school. We have been challenged to maintain high quality and expand the curriculum at the same time. During 2001-02 school year Holy Redeemer School celebrated 100 years of academic excellence. New construction and renovation were begun in 2005 and completed in 2006.